Wednesday, December 07, 2005

When I think about You, I touch myself. (Seriously.)

It's at almost every party: a group of kids in the middle of a room, dangerously intoxicated with only enough space between them to raise their arms above their heads and punch the air as they sing. It's a moment of beauty, what I came to college to experience.

So tonight I decided to rediscover the music of a golden era from a time when I was hardly a complete human being, when shoulder pads were big and hair was bigger. You all know what I'm talking about: the 80s. And what better place to begin my magical forray into this sweet world of synth and sweatbands than DC++.

I have recently developed a nearly obscene obsession with Men Without Hats's 1983 single "Safety Dance." I will not, nay, CANNOT, remove my precious white earbuds from my ears each time that fantatsically uplifting song comes on. If you haven't done it already, I recommend listening to it on loop for one day straight. You will never, ever, be happier.

(But as a word of caution: I once did this and my iPod, devil that it is, got STUCK on the Safety Dance. I know what you're thinking. "But Liana, THE SAFETY DANCE IS AWESOME!" Shhh.)

After listening to "Safety Dance" more times than anyone within a two mile radius would probably appreciate, I thought to go out on a limb and introduce a little variety. I searched the usual suspects to begin with: Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins. "Sledgehammer" gets better after every time. "Take Me Home" is so carefree and wonderful that I can't help but sing along and treasure that beautifully mild rhythmic syncopation.

The sixth hearing of "Solsbury Hill" prompted me to venture onward. I took a bold step and merely typed "80's" into the search section of DC++. I could not have gotten luckier. All of the standards were there at my fingertips. My Sharona, Video Killed the Radio Star, Eye of the Tiger! Duran Duran, Blondie, WHAM!

The subwoofer making the floor vibrate, the dull oncoming headache, the perfect mixture of strange video game-esque sounds and tambourine, the fucking catchiest lyrics.

It takes me back, guys. It takes me back.

7 Comments:

Blogger Allen Strickland Williams said...

Man, Skits-O-Phrenics! You crazy!

11:06 AM  
Blogger girl said...

Why you gotta slay like that, Skits-O-Phrenics?

11:48 AM  
Blogger Mike the man said...

did you just leave a comment on your own post? is that even legal?

4:56 PM  
Blogger Renaissance said...

CRAZY IS AS CRAZY DOES.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Renaissance said...

Wait just a minute..."takes you back"? Weren't you born in 1987? Does it take you back to when you were listening to 80's rock between the ages of 0 and 3 years old? You had really cool parents.

Ben "I'm a stickler! and a JERK" Furnas

10:19 AM  
Blogger girl said...

DUH, Ben.

11:44 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Nice post, this made me smile as I thought about the music you cited. Even though Phil Collins had started pissing me off by the time of "No jacket Required," the song "Take Me Home" gives me some joy -- in part, no doubt, to the background vox of Peter Gabriel and Sting!

-- david

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home